Sunday, June 8, 2008

Off Again!

Yumbuni Secondary School

My Form 2 students in their classroom



On February 6th, 2008 I wrote in my journal "...hopefully I will be living this life in just a few months. I don't want to leave Kenya, but I must. I have hope and faith that I will be returning soon. But, deep inside I don't see the political situation improving anytime in the near future and fear my return will not be possible." Fortunately my return is possible. Peace has resumed in the country and I will be re-entering tomorrow to continue teaching at Yumbuni Secondary School.


After being home for four months it was a difficult decision to return to Kenya. I loved teaching high school biology and anatomy physiology here in America and found it difficult to decide whether I should return or not. But, every time I thought about it I saw the smiling faces of my students at Yumbuni and remembered my promise to return to continue to teach them.

My bags are packed...and I am ready to go.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck Kelly - We all loved working with you in AUstin and look forward to hearing from you in the future - Plan on seeing several boxes of support from Austin MN coming your way.

Mark

Bec said...

kel bell ~I can't believe your off again! Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to hear all about your journey. I wish we could have seen eachother before you left, but I will be here when you return! You are so much stronger than I could be, but you always have been the traveler! Love you and see you when you get back!

Becky

Laura K said...

I'm so glad that you were able to go back! You seem to have such a passion for what you are doing down there! I look forward to reading your future posts! Good luck and may God bless you!

Unknown said...

Good Luck Kelly! We can't wait to hear about your new travels and check out the pictures. Safe travels!

Love - Ryan, Kristy and Ellie

PS - Ellie loves the sand even more now. Thanks again for playing with her at the lake!

ravgeorge said...

H Kelly - I'm glad to see you made it safely to Keyna. Can't wait to hear more about your travels. Love Roxi

Noreen Schuette said...

Hey Bel, Just wanted to say Im glad you made it safe and on your way to new adventures. Im at the lake enjoying the weather. Wish you were here. grandma is 84 today! Love you, Benna